Network.NAFSA Code of Conduct and Community Rules
Thank you for being part of Network.NAFSA. This is a great platform to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experiences, and participate in ongoing conversations. To ensure the best possible experience for all participants, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using any Network.NAFSA community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines, listed below as DO and DON’T. You also agree to post only discussions, shared files, and content that is best suited to the medium. Questions should be submitted via the “Contact Us” link on this site.
In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to reject any message for any reason as well as suspend or terminate participation in Network.NAFSA for anyone who violates these rules. NAFSA reserves the right to prescreen postings and remove posts found to be in violation of this Code of Conduct.
• Post discussions and comments that stimulate conversation and add to the body of knowledge. Each of Network.NAFSA’s communities is designed to address specific needs of international educators and our extended community
• Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities or libraries. Unapproved cross-posting to more than two communities will be considered spam and subject to removal.
• Include a signature tag on all messages with your name, affiliation, and location. This encourages members to respond directly to you on your post.
• State the topic of your post concisely and clearly in the subject line. This clarity allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
• Send a message to the entire community only when it contains information that can benefit everyone. If you concur with a previous post you do not need to reiterate the same message, simply click the recommend button to acknowledge your support of the response.
• Use caution when discussing products. We advise against engaging in libel, slander, and breaches of antitrust laws.
• Remember that other participants may reproduce postings from this site (see Legal Disclaimer below), and that any posted content is not confidential.
• Limit information to advertise jobs. It is acceptable to post one to two sentences about a job, but it is not acceptable to post a full position advertisement.
• Consider instead advertising for open positions in the NAFSA Job Registry and providing a link to that posting in your community.
• Restrict announcements and advertisements of products, services, and events that are not affiliated with NAFSA. It is acceptable to post two to three sentences about an upcoming professional development event or conference in the context of furthering discussion, but it is not acceptable to post a full advertisement or promotion of non-NAFSA professional development events.
• Several communities specifically allow notifications of scholarly publications, events, and opportunities for research. These communities include NAFSA Research Connections; Intercultural Communication and Training Network; Internationalizing Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum Network; and Research and Scholarship.
• Use additional NAFSA opportunities to promote, products, services, and events such as:
• Join the Global Partnership Program
• Advertise in NAFSA.news, International Educator magazine, and other venues
• Exhibit in the Annual Conference Exposition Hall
• Ask a NAFSA staff member if you need more clarity or guidance regarding these rules and appropriate network etiquette.
• Don’t post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. This includes, but is not limited to, posting another person’s private information or engaging in sexual or any form of harassment. These are strictly prohibited.
• Don’t post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you. Postings are not confidential.
• Don’t post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. Please carefully note all items listed in the Legal Disclaimer below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
• Don’t send administrative messages (i.e., remove me from the community). Instead, change your settings or remove yourself from a community through your profile.
• Don’t create multiple profiles. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the community and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your profile settings.
This site is provided as a service for the field of international education by NAFSA: Association of International Educators. NAFSA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by users. Opinions are those of the individual and do not represent NAFSA. We disclaim all warranties about information posted on this site, whether posted by NAFSA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall NAFSA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants NAFSA and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
NAFSA may monitor the site for inappropriate postings and will remove any posts it deems inappropriate. NAFSA reserves the right to moderate all communities.
NAFSA reserves the right to moderate, suspend, or terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines at the sole discretion of NAFSA.